Roasted Green Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Yield 2 servings
Serve these green beans with a brown rice blend or over cooked udon noodles.
- 4 cups green beans, stem ends removed
- 1 (3-ounce) package fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded, caps sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, diced into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Bring 1 quart water to a boil over high heat. Boil green beans barely 1 minute. Remove from boiling water and immediately rinse in ice-cold water until beans are chilled.
- Drain beans and place in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Add mushrooms, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and chili flakes. If you are adding tofu do so now.
- Spread beans, and tofu, if using, out evenly on a nonreactive baking pan and bake 15 minutes, turning occasionally until beans are lightly browned and tender.