Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Cheese
- Yield 6 servings
All the flavor of scalloped potatoes in a simple pan-roast.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes or small red-skinned potatoes, cut diagonally into halves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried thyme leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with oil.
- Combine potatoes, cream, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a large bowl. With a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a pan, spreading them in a single layer. Reserve cream mixture. Bake about 30 minutes, until largest potato is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven. With a spatula, slide potatoes together. Drizzle with remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Return pan to oven on top rack until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.