Roasted Eye of Round and Vegetables
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This roast, marinated overnight in red wine and onion soup, can also be sliced thinly and used for sandwiches.
- 1 (3-pound) eye of round roast
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 (1-pound) package carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- Make slits in roast and stuff with garlic. Rub meat with pepper and thyme. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine wine, onion soup and bay leaf. Pour over meat. Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or at least several hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place roast in a shallow open roasting pan, reserving marinade. Arrange carrots, onion and potatoes around meat. Roast 20 minutes. Pour reserved marinade over roast and continue cooking 25 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender and meat is done. Slice meat diagonally across grain into thin slices and serve with vegetables.