Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon, Olives and Herbs
- Yield: 4 servings
- Cook: 35 mins
Breasts get all the attention, but thighs are more deserving. Roast them at high heat for juicy meat and crisp skin.
- 1teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3cup fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 3/4teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1medium red onion, cut in 8 wedges
- 1 lemon, cut lengthwise in 4 wedges
- 1/2cup Kalamata olives
- Combine lemon zest and juice, oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic cloves, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a good grinding of pepper in a large baking dish. Add chicken, turning to coat well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken once or twice.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large, heavy baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and arrange skin side up on baking sheet. Toss onion and lemon wedges with marinade and arrange around chicken. Roast chicken 30 to 35 minutes, until skin is browned and crisp and juices run clear. Scatter olives around chicken during last 5 minutes of cooking. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 596
- Fat 44g
- Cholesterol 187mg
- Sodium 807mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 40g