Roast Chicken Margarita
- Yield servings
- 1 -- (4 to 5pound) Whole Roasting Chicken, discard giblets and neck
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 -- lime, quartered
- 8 -- key limes, cut each in half
- 2 -- heads garlic, halved
- -- Kitchen string or Butcher Twine
- Margarita Marinade
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup Liquid Margarita Mix
- 1/4 cup Tequila
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons minced roasted garlic, from jar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 3/4 cups Chicken Broth, divided
- -- Mint Sprigs, garnish
- 8 -- Quartered Large Limes, garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Pat chicken dry. Sprinkle cavity with kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Stuff cavity with quartered lime, key limes cut in half and garlic halves. Tie chicken legs together with kitchen string or butcher twine to hold it's shape. Place a rack in a large Roasting Pan. Set the chicken, breast side up on the rack in the pan. Set aside.
In medium bowl combine Margarita marinade ingredients ending with fresh mint. Whisk together to blend well. Brush chicken with generous amount of Margarita marinade. Combine coarse black pepper and coriander. Rub coriander mixture over entire chicken. Pour 3/4 cup chicken broth in bottom of Roasting Pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally with additional chicken broth and adding to bottom of pan as needed to prevent chicken pan drippings from burning.
After chicken has baked for 1 hour, brush generous amounts of Margarita Marinade over the chicken. Continue roasting chicken until instant-read meat thermometer inserted into innermost part of the thigh reads 170 degrees; basting with Margarita marinade and adding broth to pan if needed for an additional 45 minutes. Transfer Chicken to large oval green or festive colored platter and leave to rest in a warm spot. Tent with foil while making the sauce.
Meanwhile, place the roasting pan over 2 burners set at medium-high heat. Whisk in any remaining marinade; Boil until the sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup, stirring often about 4 minutes. Garnish platter with Mint Sprigs and Quartered Limes alternating to go around entire chicken. Serve the chicken with pan juices. Optional accompaniment steamed flour tortilla's or flat bread.
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 1 hour 50 minutes
Created by: Cyndi Stallworth