- 5large carrots, peeled and sliced (3 cups)
- 2-- celery ribs, sliced thinly (1 1/2 cups)
- 1large onion, quartered (2 cups)
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 3-- (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-- (15-ounce) can beets, drained and rinsed
- 1/4cup reduced-fat sour cream for garnish
- 1/4cup snipped fresh chives for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 13 x 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
Combine carrots, celery and onion in dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper. Toss. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until carrots and celery are fork tender.
Puree roasted vegetables and beets with broth in batches until smooth. Combine batches in heavy 2-quart kettle. Heat over medium low heat until warmed through.
Garnish with sour cream and chives.
Recipe by Elsa Ramirez Brisson, California. Reprinted with permission from John Wiley & Sons, Inc. The American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 200
- Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 440mg
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 8g