Roasted Carrot and Beet Soup
- Yield 4 servings
Beets and carrots unite to produce a flavor that is exceptionally interesting and comforting.
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced (3 cups)
- 2 -- celery ribs, sliced thinly (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, quartered (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -- (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can beets, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream for garnish
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 13 x 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Combine carrots, celery and onion in dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper. Toss. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until carrots and celery are fork tender.
- Puree roasted vegetables and beets with broth in batches until smooth. Combine batches in heavy 2-quart kettle. Heat over medium low heat until warmed through.
- Garnish with sour cream and chives.