Roasted Butternut Squash, Cheddar, and Sage Galette
- Yield 8 servings
Butternut squash truly shines in this galette. Its lovely sweetness cozies up to a sharp cheddar and aromatic sage, resulting in a dish that’s just as exquisite to behold as it is to munch on.
- 1/2 -- recipe Basic Pie Dough
- large un-rimmed baking sheet
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- -- Egg wash
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- For Basic Shortening-and-Butter Pie Dough, click here. For a Basic All-Butter Pie Dough, click here.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare the crust: Remove the chilled pie dough from the refrigerator and roll it out into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the dough to a large un-rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the filling: Combine all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using clean hands or a large spoon, toss until well mixed and the squash cubes and onion are well coated with the olive oil and sage.
- Assemble the tart: Mound the squash mixture in the middle of the chilled pastry circle. Gently spread the mixture out toward the edge of the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border all around.
- Fold the pastry border up over the filling, overlapping the edges and pressing the folds together every few inches.
- Whisk the egg yolk and water in a small bowl, then use a pastry brush to brush the wash over the folded edges of the crust.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the squash cubes are tender when pierced with a fork.