Roasted Beet Salad with Skordalia (Potato Dip)
- Yield: 3 cups
- 5 skin-on Idaho baking potatoes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2cup very good-quality Greek or Italian extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons water
- 2medium red beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2medium golden beets, peeled and cut into small wedges
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3cups field greens
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons Skordalia (Potato Dip, recipe given)
- To prepare the Skordalia: Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook 30 minutes until tender, drain and set aside to cool 15 minutes.
- Holding the potatoes with a kitchen towel, peel, break up and place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add garlic and salt. Use on/off pulses to combine. Add the olive oil, lemon juice and water and use on/off pulses until combined and smooth. Makes 3 cups.
- To prepare the salad: Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium bowl, toss beets, oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Place on a baking pan with sides and bake 35 to 40 minutes until just tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Place 3 tablespoons skordalia in the center of each of 6 plates. Scatter 1/2 cup field greens around the plate. Top skordalia with a few pieces of roasted beets and serve.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 145
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 14mg
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 2g