Roasted Beet Salad with Grapefruit and Chive Vinaigrette
- Yield 6 servings
This unique combination of seasonal grapefruit and earthy beets gives this salad a fantastic flavor.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup flaxseed oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pound beets, trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups organic mixed greens
- 2 large grapefruits, segmented
- 1 head fennel, shaved or sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, put the egg, vinegar, and chives in a food processor and blend until well mixed. Combine the oils, and then slowly add them to the food processor. Blend until the mixture begins to emulsify and turn pale green. If the mixture gets too thick, add up to 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- To make the salad, preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly toss the beets in the olive oil and salt to taste and place on a baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, or until tender. Let cool and then peel and cut the beets into a large dice.
- On a large plate, arrange the mixed greens, beets, grapefruit segments, and fennel. Finish with the chive vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
From the book Eat to Defeat Menopause by Dr. Mache Seibel and Karen Giblin. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.