Roasted Asparagus with Parmigiano and Thyme Crumbs
- Yield: 4 servings
Roasting asparagus brings out their sweetness. Splurge on Parmigiano Reggiano—you need only a little, and the quality goes a long way.
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1/3cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1pound medium asparagus, trimmed
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 4teaspoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs; toss until lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just fragrant and crumbs are more deeply golden, about 1 minute more. Sprinkle with about half the salt and pepper; remove from heat, and let cool.
- Toss asparagus with oil on a heavy rimmed baking sheet, spread in a single layer, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Roast 8 minutes, shaking pan once halfway, or until asparagus are crisp-tender and lightly browned.
- Stir cheese and thyme into breadcrumbs. Arrange asparagus on a serving platter, and sprinkle crumbs across the center.
Wine Pairing: Asparagus can be tricky to pair with wine, but an easygoing Pinot Grigio should play nice with this dish. Lulu Pinot Grigio ($8) brings soft, rounded pear notes with a brisk, refreshing finish.—Wini Moranville, Relish wine columnist
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 119
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 9mg
- Sodium 198mg
- Carbohydrate 5g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 3g