Roast Turkey Soup with Wild Rice and Mushrooms
- Yield 8 servings
A great low-fat soup for using your leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups sliced Shiitake or brown cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 9 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded roast turkey (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups kale or spinach, torn in bite size pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add thyme and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add turkey, wild rice and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
—Recipe by Cheryl Forberg