Roast Pork with Brown Ale and Prunes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (2 3/4-pound) rolled pork loin
- 3 shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 ground cinnamon
- 1 ground ginger
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2cups brown ale
- 7ounces pitted prunes
- 3 1/2ounces dried apricots
- 7tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Combine shallot, carrot, cinnamon and ginger and mix well.
- Heat olive oil in a flameproof roasting pan. Add pork and brown over high heat. Add the combined vegetables and spices, then roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Baste roast regularly with ale.
- Remove roast and add prunes and dried apricots. Season with salt and pepper, then return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a serving plate.
- To make the sauce, add butter to roasting pan and stir well over low heat. Pour over the pork and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Rôtis by Stéphane Reynaud, Melville House 2011