Roast Leg of Lamb
- Yield servings
This dish is sure to impress your guests.
- 1 -- (5- to 6-pound) bone-in leg of lamb
- 6 -- garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried savory or rosemary
- -- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup (or more) chicken stock
- -- Juice of 2 lemons
- Make small cuts in the lamb with a sharp knife and insert the garlic slices. Combine the oregano, thyme, savory, salt and pepper with the olive oil and butter in a small bowl, stirring until blended. Rub the herb butter all over the lamb. Place the lamb in a large roasting pan. Roast at 325F for about 3 hours (1/2 hour per pound) or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the lamb registers 135F. Combine the stock and lemon juice and use to baste the lamb during roasting. Remove the roast to a cutting board or platter; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League of Grand Junction's Celebrate Colorado West of the Rockies (Junior Service League of Grand Junction, Colorado, 2005).