Roast Beef with Green Olives
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1-- (2 3/4-pound) beef tenderloin
- 1-- bunch sorrel
- 3 1/2fluid ounces plus 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-- French shallots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 6-- garlic cloves
- 6-- ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2/3cup green olives, pitted
- 1/3cup pine nuts
- 3 1/2ounces feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Blanch sorrel in boiling salted water, refresh it immediately in ice water, then strain well. Process sorrel and olive oil in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan. Add shallot and cook over medium heat until softened. Add garlic, tomato, olives and pine nuts. Combine well and allow mixture to cook about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a flameproof roasting pan. Add beef and brown on all sides over high heat. Transfer to oven and roast 10 minutes, then remove and add tomato mixture and scatter feta over top. Return to the oven and roast 10 minutes.
- Remove roast from the oven and allow to rest in its juices, covered with foil, 10 minutes.
- Drizzle sorrel mixture over top before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Rôtis by Stéphane Reynaud (Melville House, 2011).