Risotto with Shrimp and Asparagus
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe that originally appeared in Relish that uses proscuitto. We replaced it with shrimp, but left everything else the same.
- 5 cups hot chicken or turkey broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cups short-grained risotto rice (such as Arborio)
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends removed and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound raw, peeled shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring broth to a simmer over medium heat.
- Combine oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add rice; cook 5 minutes, stirring to coat well. Add 1 cup broth; cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed. Continue adding broth by small ladlefuls, stirring constantly and allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding more, until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and creamy, about 20 minutes in all. Add asparagus and shrimp during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmigiano, remaining butter and salt. Serve immediately.