Risotto-Style Spaghetti with Potatoes
Who said risotto had to be limited to risotto? Try this creamy, spaghetti-style risotto for a yummy twist on the original.
- 1 pound potatoes, any type, peeled and diced
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into bite-sized pieces
- Grated pecorino or other aged cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1 small dried red chile pepper, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, combine potatoes, ¼ cup oil and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until the potatoes begin to break up a bit.
- Add about 2 cups hot water, just enough to cover the potatoes by ½ inch. Raise the heat, bring everything to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are very soft, about 10 minutes more.
- Add the pasta and stir until combined; simmer until the pasta is almost al dente. Stir in parsley, 1/3 cup of cheese and chile pepper to taste, and cook for another minute, adding hot water or olive oil if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with more cheese and an additional sprinkle of parsley, chile, and pepper.
—Reprinted with permission from Pasta Modern: New and Inspired Recipes from Italy. Copyright 2013, Stewart, Tabori & Chang.