Rio Star Grapefruit Upside-Down Cake
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/4sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 2large eggs
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put 4 tablespoons butter in a cast-iron skillet or medium baking pan. Place the pan in the oven just long enough to melt butter. Remove pan from oven; scatter ½ cup brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange grapefruit sections to cover bottom of pan.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add granulated sugar and remaining ¼ cup brown sugar; beat until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour batter over grapefruit sections in pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes and then turn cake out onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of TexaSweet