Rigatoni with Sausage and Kale
- Yield 4 servings
Mild Tuscan kale pairs deliciously with lean turkey sausage and chunky rigatoni in this hearty meal-in-a-dish
- 8 ounces dried rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed, and roughly crumbled
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces Tuscan kale, stems discarded, leaves roughly torn
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, plus additional for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta cooking water.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté, crumbling, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and half the broth, stirring to loosen brown bits on the bottom of pan. Add kale and cook until wilted. Add remaining broth; cover and cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and reserved pasta water to sausage mixture; cook 2 minutes. Toss with cheese and serve.