- Yield 10 servings
This pasta dish is full of tasty vegetables.
- 12 ounces uncooked garlic-basil rigatoni
- 1/2 to 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 to 1 -- eggplant, chopped (optional)
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can sliced black olives (optional)
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, cooked, drained
- 3 cups prepared chunky garlic tomato and herb sauce or other marinara sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water to cover in a saucepan for 6 to 8 minutes; drain. Let stand until cool.
- Saute the green onions, eggplant, olives and mushrooms in olive oil in a skillet; drain well.
- Combine the pasta, sauted vegetables, Italian sausage and marinara sauce in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Layer the pasta mixture, the mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese one half at a time in a baking dish. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Make this dish ahead of time so the flavors have more time to blend.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Huntsville’s Sweet Home Alabama (Huntsville, Al., 1995).