- Yield: 10 servings
- 12ounces uncooked garlic-basil rigatoni
- 1/2 to 1bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 to 1-- eggplant, chopped (optional)
- 1-- (4-ounce) can sliced black olives (optional)
- 4cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 12ounces Italian sausage, cooked, drained
- 3cups prepared chunky garlic tomato and herb sauce or other marinara sauce
- 3cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water to cover in a saucepan for 6 to 8 minutes; drain. Let stand until cool.
- Saute the green onions, eggplant, olives and mushrooms in olive oil in a skillet; drain well.
- Combine the pasta, sauted vegetables, Italian sausage and marinara sauce in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Layer the pasta mixture, the mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese one half at a time in a baking dish. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Make this dish ahead of time so the flavors have more time to blend.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Huntsville’s Sweet Home Alabama (Huntsville, Al., 1995).