Ricotta Berry Pie
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- -- Pastry for a 9-inch pie shell
- 2 1/2cups fresh or unsweetened frozen blackberries or boysenberries
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1 1/2tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8ounces ricotta cheese
- 1-- egg, separated
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Line a 9-inch pan with the pastry. Mix together the berries, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the tapioca, and cinnamon until blended; let stand 5 minutes. In a blender container or processor combine the ricotta, egg yolk, salt, cream, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, lemon juice, and peel; whirl until smoothly pureed. Beat the egg white until soft peaks form; fold in the cheese mixture just until blended. Spoon the berry mixture into the pastry; evenly spread over the cheese mixture. Bake in 425F oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350F and continue baking 30 minutes or until topping appears firm when dish is gently shaken.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Albuquerque’s Simply Simpatico (The Junior League of Albuquerque, NM, 1981).