Ricotta Berry Pie
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A creamy and delicious blackberry pie.
- -- Pastry for a 9-inch pie shell
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or unsweetened frozen blackberries or boysenberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 -- egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Line a 9-inch pan with the pastry. Mix together the berries, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the tapioca, and cinnamon until blended; let stand 5 minutes. In a blender container or processor combine the ricotta, egg yolk, salt, cream, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, lemon juice, and peel; whirl until smoothly pureed. Beat the egg white until soft peaks form; fold in the cheese mixture just until blended. Spoon the berry mixture into the pastry; evenly spread over the cheese mixture. Bake in 425F oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350F and continue baking 30 minutes or until topping appears firm when dish is gently shaken.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Albuquerque’s Simply Simpatico (The Junior League of Albuquerque, NM, 1981).