Rice with Zucchini and Raisins
- Yield servings
A combination of lemon flavors, zucchini and raisins, this zesty entree is not your average rice dish!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used light)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 medium green zucchini (peeled, cut into ¼ inch circles and then quarter those into triangle cut)
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice, brown rice or any type (except wild)
- 1/4 cup raisins (I had regular sweet raisins, but golden works fine too)
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (gluten-free of course!)
- 1/4 cup diced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon zest of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place the 2 types of oil in a skillet and heat briefly.
- After peeling and slicing the zucchini and shallots, add to the oils and saute until the vegetable is just getting soft and before the shallots get brown.
- Add the broth and raw rice. Cook with a lid on for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins, carrot, salt and pepper, and the zest.
- Simmer on low heat until the rice has absorbed the broth but is not too dry. (All rice cooks at different lengths of time, so naming a precise time of cooking is difficult.) Watch until you see that happen. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and parsley, tossing gently.
- Note: If you are preparing with already pre-cooked rice, then merely simmer the zucchini and shallots in the broth for about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients with your cooked rice, and heat for another 2 minutes to absorb the flavors.