Rice with Pork
- Yield 8 servings
An easy dish of rice and pork that simmers for a tasty supper. Serve with a salad of mix greens and steamed snow peas.
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground annatto
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 -- jalapenos, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups extra-long grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork cubes and sauté until browned on all sides. Add the garlic, annatto, paprika, cayenne, jalapeños and salt and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to a low; simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Drain the liquid from the pot into a glass measuring cup (measure in batches if needed) to make sure you have 4 cups of liquid remaining to cook the rice. If needed, add water to equal 4 cups. Return liquid to pot and increase heat to high; stir in rice and peas, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.