- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Use whatever type rice you have in the pantry in this low-fat side.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups yellow squash, cut in fourths
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes (Roma)
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, stir-fry the broccoli, mushrooms, squash, onion and garlic for about 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and continue cooking until well heated. Add rice, cheese, salt and pepper flakes, cooking and tossing until well mixed and heated.
Note: Use brown rice for additional dietary fiber and trace nutrients.