- 1 (10-ounce) package dried rice noodles*
- 4cups vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2teaspoons chili paste with garlic*
- 1tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2teaspoons minced fresh lemon grass or 1 teaspoon dried, optional
- 1cup fresh basil, shredded
- 3sprigs fresh mint
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2cup fresh bean sprouts
- Simmer dried noodles in boiling water 1 minute. Drain and rinse in warm water; transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Combine broth, garlic, ginger root, sugar, lime juice, chili paste, soy sauce, sesame oil and lemon grass, if using, in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over noodles.
- Add basil, mint, jalapeno, scallions and bean sprouts; gently mix. Inhale deeply before eating.
*Use inexpensive thin or flat rice noodles for this dish. They can be found in 7- to 16-ounce packages in Asian grocery stores. You can substitute angel hair, but it’s not the same. The chili paste with garlic can be found in the same markets.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 673
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 2722mg
- Carbohydrate 139g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 13g