Rice Noodles with Basil and Chiles
- Yield 2 servings
The heat of the broth releases an amazing fragrance when mixed with the raw garnish ingredients.
- 1 (10-ounce) package dried rice noodles*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic*
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh lemon grass or 1 teaspoon dried, optional
- 1 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
- Simmer dried noodles in boiling water 1 minute. Drain and rinse in warm water; transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Combine broth, garlic, ginger root, sugar, lime juice, chili paste, soy sauce, sesame oil and lemon grass, if using, in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over noodles.
- Add basil, mint, jalapeno, scallions and bean sprouts; gently mix. Inhale deeply before eating.