Rice and Vegetable Packets
- Yield 4 servings
Lots of healthy vegetables and brown rice are steamed in a convenient foil packet in your oven.
- 1 cup basmati or brown rice cooked (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 medium zucchini cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 yellow squash cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (1 cup)
- 4 plum tomatoes cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 4 small carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds (1 cup)
- 8 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 sprigs choosing from among; fresh basil, thyme, rosemary and/or oregano
- 6 ounces shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Place 4 (12 x 15-inch) pieces of parchment paper or foil on a work surface with their long edges in front of you.
- Place 1/2 cup cooked rice on the bottom half of each piece of paper or foil. Layer a quarter of each vegetable in the order given on top of the rice. Drizzle 3/4 teaspoon oil evenly over the vegetables in each portion. Scatter a quarter of the garlic over the vegetables on each piece of foil. Place two sprigs of herbs atop each pile of vegetables (any combination of herbs may be used). Top each with a portion of cheese, if using; season with salt and pepper.
- Working with one package at a time, fold the bottom edge of the parchment or foil up to meet the top edge.
- Beginning in one corner, fold the open edges over and over, forming a seal. The package will be a rectangle. Allow enough airspace in the bag or foil so that steam can accumulate. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining packages. Packages can be prepared up to this point and refrigerated overnight before baking.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425F. Bake packages for 40 minutes or until bags puff and vegetables are tender. Allow your guests to open packages at the table.