- Yield 8 servings
A Tuscan soup of bean and greens is reboiled into a thick stew.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- 8 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 12 ounces hearty greens, such as calvo nero or kale, chopped
- 5 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 ciabatta loaf, cut into cubes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a saucepan; add onions and cook over low heat 6 to 8 minutes or until soft. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in garlic and carrot and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, potatoes and greens and cook 5 minutes. Pour in stock. Add rosemary and simmer over low heat 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Taste and season again with salt and pepper.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container, making sure everything is covered with liquid. Seal and freeze up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400F. Place ciabatta cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven 10 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile transfer soup to a saucepan and heat until hot. Serve topped with ciabatta, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
Recipe reprinted with permission from DK Publish, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. from Illustrated Quick Cook by Heather Whinney (DK Publishing, 2009). All rights reserved.