Rhubarb and Raspberry Dessert Soup
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 3large ribs rhubarb
- 8cups water
- 2cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1cup sugar
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2cup cool water
- 3cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- Trim the rhubarb and cut the stems into 1/2-inch pieces, discarding the leaves. Combine with 8 cups water, 2 cups raspberries and sugar in a heavy medium saucepan; mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Strain into a bowl, discarding the rhubarb and raspberry seeds.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan and stir in the vanilla. Return to a boil. Blend the cornstarch with 1/2 cup water in a cup. Add to the saucepan and return to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in 3 cups raspberries and reduce the heat. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust the sugar to taste. Ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Stig Hansen’s Cooking Danish, A Taste of Denmark (Eden, Utah, 2007).