Rhubarb-Mint Wine Spritzer
- Yield: 12 servings
The rhubarb syrup would be tasty poured over ice cream or pound cake, too.
- Fresh Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 8 to 10stalks fresh rhubarb cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1cup agave nectar
- 1/2cup water
- 2 (750ml) bottles chilled white wine, such as a Pinot Grigio
- 1 1/2 to 2cups Fresh Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 1liter chilled seltzer water
- Fresh mint leaves
- To prepare simple syrup, put rhubarb, agave nectar and water into a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook, stirring every so often, until mixture is somewhat reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool about 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, pressing gently with a spoon to release all the liquid. Let cool completely and pour into a glass container. Rhubarb syrup will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator. Makes 2 cups
- To prepare spritzer, mix wine and rhubarb syrup in a large pitcher. Add a small handful of fresh mint leaves to the pitcher. Use a wooden spoon to gently crush leaves. Stir well. Add seltzer water just before serving. Serve over ice cubes and garnish with more mint.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday Potluck