- Yield 18 pieces
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- Cinnamon and brown sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Beat eggs. Stir in brown sugar, applesauce and canola oil.
- Pour egg mixture into the well in flour mixture. Stir until batter is combined but still slightly lumpy. Fold in rhubarb.
- Grease a standard-size (4-ounce) muffin tin or line with paper liners. Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into each cup. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon and brown sugar over the batter in each cup, if using.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched.
Recipe adapted from High Altitude Rhubarb, Black Forest, CO.