Retro Stuffed Peppers
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup water
- 1/2cup raw white basmati rice
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2teaspoons dried leaf oregano
- 1/4cup minced fresh parsley
- 1pound ground soy beef (such as Gimme Lean made by Lifelight or Boco Burger brand)
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1cup loose-packed basil leaves
- 6medium red, yellow or green bell peppers
- In a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring water to a boil. Add basmati rice, stir, cover and simmer 20 minutes until nearly tender. Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saute pan or skillet and saute onions, celery, garlic and oregano 3 minutes until tender. Add sauteed vegetables to rice. Add parsley, soy beef, salt and pepper to rice and mix to combine.
- Combine marinara sauce, diced tomatoes and basil leaves in a nonreactive medium bowl. Spoon 1 cup of tomato sauce mixture on bottom of a 2.5-liter baking dish.
- Cut a 1/2-inch slice off top of each pepper. Remove seeds; reserve top pieces. Stuff peppers with rice mixture, leaving about 1/2-inch head space. Place top of each pepper back in place and stand peppers in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over peppers. Cover loosely with foil and bake 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes and serve.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 303
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 789mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Fiber 10g
- Protein 19g