Retro Cherry Pound Cake
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
"Easy to make and so elegant, this is our favorite cake. I like to surprise my husband and bake it on Valentine's Day."
- 1 1/2cups shortening or 1 cup shortening plus 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, softened
- 3cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup milk
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, softened
- 2cups confectioners' sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2cup sweetened flaked coconut, optional
- 1/2cup chopped nuts
- Grease and flour a 9-inch tube pan. Do not preheat the oven.
- To prepare the cake, combine the shortening and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat until well blended. Add the extracts and beat well. Add the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Beat well after each addition. Fold in half of the cherries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 11/2 hours, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then invert onto a plate.
- To prepare the icing, combine the cream cheese, margarine, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixture at low speed until smooth. Spread the icing on top and the sides of the cake. Sprinkle the remaining maraschino cherries and nuts on top.
Recipe by Janet Redding, Stanley, N.C.