Reduced-Fat Potato Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Bring a generous batch to picnics and cookouts. You won’t miss the fat and you’ll be healthier for it!
- 2 -- medium potatoes, peeled (if desired) and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 cup fat-free or low-fat vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Steam the potatoes until just barely tender when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer to a large bowl and add the onion, celery, bell pepper, parsley, and dill weed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Add to the potato mixture and toss gently until evenly distributed. Chill thoroughly before serving.
- Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Potato Salad will keep for up to 3 days.
Recipe from the Cancer Survivor’s Guide by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D.