Red, White and Blueberry Quinoa Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Hearty quinoa is paired with sweet blueberries, strawberries and cranberries and dressed with a tart grapefruit vinaigrette.
- 2 cups water, salted
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 watermelon, rind removed and cut into 5 flat triangles
- 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, for drizzling
- Bring the salted water to a boil. Turn down the heat so that the water reaches a rolling simmer.
- Pour the quinoa in the salted, simmering water. Cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the grapefruit juice, zest, agave nectar and oil together in a medium bowl. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the grapefruit vinaigrette into the cooked quinoa while the quinoa is still hot. Let the dressed quinoa cool to room temperature.
- After the quinoa has cooled, toss it together with the diced pecans, diced strawberries, blueberries and cranberries. Chill the quinoa berry salad in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pile the chilled quinoa berry salad into a large mound in the middle of a serving plate. Evenly surround the quinoa salad with the 5 watermelon triangles, so that the dish as a whole resembles a star. Just before serving, drizzle everything with the vanilla Greek yogurt.