Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 1 ounce semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 ounce milk chocolate
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Melt the milk and semi sweet chocolates together and set aside but keep warm.
- Mix together the melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar and red food coloring.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and whisk into the wet mixture in two stages.
- Whisk in chocolate.
- Scoop and place onto parchment paper covered sheet pan. Bake at 325 for 8-12 minutes until center springs back when pressed.
- Meanwhile prepare your choice of marshmallow filling, mint marshmallow filling, champagne filling or cream cheese filling. Once whoopee pies have finished baking and have been allowed to cool, spread or pipe onto one side of the whoopie pie and top with another to assemble.
Recipe courtesy of the Hanover Inn, Hanover, N.H.