Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes, drained and lightly mashed with a fork
- Cupcake liners
- Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and stir together. In a separate bowl combine oil, water, vanilla, vinegar and stewed tomatoes. Mix wet ingredients with electric mixer and then add the dry ingredients. Mix until blended.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and then frost with your favorite icing.
Note: To make a layer cake, double the recipe and put in 2 round cake pans. Then increase baking time to about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe comes from photographer Robin Jolin. Check out her work here.