Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Yield 16 to 24 pieces
Food blogger Nicole Weston of Baking Bites puts a decadent new spin on a classic Southern cake.
The cheesecake is creamy and rich tasting, a great contrast to the brownie base. Take the time to swirl the cream cheese mixture into the brownie batter with a butter knife, rather than just simply pouring it on top, to get the best look from your finished brownies -Nicole Weston
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
- In a small, heatproof bowl, melt butter and chocolate in the microwave on HIGH, stirring at 30-second intervals. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Add the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Batter should be red. (If a brighter red is desired, add an additional 1/2 tsp food coloring.) Add flour and salt and stir until just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer; set aside
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Drop in dollops onto prepared brownie batter. Gently swirl two batters with a butter knife to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until brownies are set and the edges will be lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan completely before slicing and serving, either at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Note: Brownies can be refrigerated, covered, for several days.
- Recipe By Nicole Weston, Baking Bites