Red Velvet Cake
- Yield: 16 servings
- 1/2cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup buttermilk
- 2tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2tablespoons red food coloring
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/3cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 7tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3cups salted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 to 2cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- To prepare cake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease three 8-inch layer pans or two 9-inch layer pans; line bottoms with wax paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together vegetable shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour alternately with buttermilk; beat until blended. In a small bowl, whisk cocoa and food coloring together with a fork until smooth; add to batter and beat until evenly blended. In same small bowl, dissolve baking soda in vinegar and beat into batter. Pour into prepared pans and spread evenly; bake 8-inch layers 20 minutes or 9-inch layers 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks. Remove cakes from pans, peel off wax paper and cool completely on racks.
- To prepare frosting, whisk milk and flour until flour dissolves. Pour into a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat 2 to 3 minutes or until thick. Cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy; beat in vanilla. Fill and frost cake.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 400
- Fat 23g
- Sodium 300mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 5g