Red Snapper in Tomato Herb Broth
- Yield 4 servings
Poached in a mixture of wine and ginger, red snapper makes a great special occasion entree.
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 -- onion slices
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into halves
- 2 -- (1/4-inch-thick) fresh ginger slices
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 2 pinches of crumbled dried thyme
- 4 -- (6-ounce) red snapper fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Black pepper
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, drained, chopped, seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Bring the first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large deep skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the broth. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes or until the fish is opaque in the center.
- Remove fish to shallow soup bowls. Cover with foil and keep warm.
- Strain the liquid in the skillet into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 8 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Stir in the tomatoes and chives. Pour over the fish in the bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Mobile, Bay Tables (Junior League of Mobile, 1999)