Red Snapper in Tomato Herb Broth
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2cups dry white wine
- 2cups water
- 2-- onion slices
- 2cloves garlic, cut into halves
- 2-- (1/4-inch-thick) fresh ginger slices
- 2-- bay leaves
- 2sprigs fresh thyme, or 2 pinches of crumbled dried thyme
- 4-- (6-ounce) red snapper fillets
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Black pepper
- 2/3cup tomatoes, drained, chopped, seeded
- 2tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Bring the first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large deep skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the broth. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes or until the fish is opaque in the center.
- Remove fish to shallow soup bowls. Cover with foil and keep warm.
- Strain the liquid in the skillet into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 8 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Stir in the tomatoes and chives. Pour over the fish in the bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Mobile, Bay Tables (Junior League of Mobile, 1999)