Red Sauce Chicken and Pasta
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces fusilli pasta
- 2-1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut into chunks
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, shelled, roasted and salted
- 1 cup prepared enchilada or mole sauce (1 8.25 ounce jar)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 4-1/2 cups salt-free chicken broth
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, pureed
- 1 cup queso blanco or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 2 -- avocadoes, diced
- In large pot, cook pasta according to package directions, about 8 minutes. Rinse and set aside.
- In large, ovenproof skillet, warm vegetable oil over high heat. Add chicken chunks and sautÈ until nicely browned on all sides and cook throughout, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet. Saute until very soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in raisins, pumpkin seeds, bottled sauce, chocolate, chicken broth and pureed red peppers. Add chicken and fusilli pasta. Stir to coat chicken and pasta with sauce.
- To serve, top with grated cheese and diced avocado.