Red Pepper Rarebit
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
An irresistable accompaniment to toasted bread or english muffins.
- 3 -- roasted red pepperd (charred, peeled, seeded)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- -- Salt and pepper
- dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- -- Toasted English muffins
- Saute onions and garlic in oil. Puree peppers (reserving 6 strips for garnish), onion, garlic, and oil in a blender or food processor. Return to saucepan and heat with cheese. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Blend butter with flour and add little by little to the simmering sauce. Stir until smooth. Add cream and stir until very hot.
- Pour over toasted English muffins and garnish each serving with a strip of roasted red pepper.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tyler’s And Roses for the Table (The Junior League of Tyler, Texas 1997).