Red Pepper Braised Short Ribs
- Yield 4 servings
Simmered slowly until super tender, these beef short ribs are a hearty, winter main dish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs, cracked
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced (1-inch)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup California Black Ripe Olives, sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram
- Heat oil in a large high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season ribs with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Place ribs in pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until well browned. Transfer browned ribs to a clean plate and stir peppers and onions into pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until slightly browned, then pour in beef stock, red wine, olives and marjoram and bring to a boil. Return ribs to pan, cover and cook on a low simmer for 3 hours, turning meat every hour to evenly cook until meat is easily pulled from the bones.