Red Lentil Soup
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 35 minutes
Fiber- and protein-rich lentils star with the soup, laced with tomato paste and carrots.
For small amounts of tomato paste, buy it in tubes—like toothpaste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3 tablespoons uncooked brown rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; cook, mixing occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add tomato paste and cumin; mix to combine. Add lentils, rice, water, bouillon, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Makes about 6 cups.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.