Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2tablespoon curry powder (or substitute chili powder)
- 1small onion, minced
- 2cloves garlic
- 1tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1cup coconut milk
- 1cup red lentils, rinsed
- 3cups water or stock
- 1cup plain yogurt
- 1/4cup diced tomatoes
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the curry powder and toast for a few seconds, then add onion, garlic, jalapeno, and coconut milk. Stir together and let cook 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and water or stock. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and let simmer until lentils are tender, about 20-30 minutes
- If desired, add yogurt, tomatoes, cilantro and ginger. Adjust flavor with salt.
SERVING NOTE: Either serve as is, or puree in batches in blender for a smooth consistency. The soup is fantastic with warm bread or tortillas and a little more yogurt and chopped jalapenos on top.
Republished with permission from The Feed Zone Cookbook.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 360
- Fat 20g
- Sodium 304mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 15g
- Protein 13g