Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
- Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoon curry powder (or substitute chili powder)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water or stock
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the curry powder and toast for a few seconds, then add onion, garlic, jalapeno, and coconut milk. Stir together and let cook 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and water or stock. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and let simmer until lentils are tender, about 20-30 minutes
- If desired, add yogurt, tomatoes, cilantro and ginger. Adjust flavor with salt.
SERVING NOTE: Either serve as is, or puree in batches in blender for a smooth consistency. The soup is fantastic with warm bread or tortillas and a little more yogurt and chopped jalapenos on top.
Republished with permission from The Feed Zone Cookbook.