Red Curry Vegetable Stew
- Yield 8 servings
It looks like there are lots of ingredients in the hearty stew, but they are simply thrown in a pot and simmered.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 stalk lemon grass, trimmed of bulb and outer leaves, inner leaves minced, or 2 tablespoons lemon grass powder
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 cup (1-inch-lengths) green beans
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 (14-ounce) cans light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive saucepot over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Saute 1 minute.
- Add garlic, ginger, lemon grass and curry paste; continue to saute a few minutes to coat well with paste.
- Add potatoes, green beans, yellow squash and zucchini; continue to saute another 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add basil, cilantro, soy sauce and lime juice. Mix well and serve.