Red Beans and Rice with Kielbasa
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 105 mins
Turkey sausage updates a traditional New Orleans recipe.
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound turkey kielbasa, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked white rice
- Rinse beans. Place beans in a large bowl or Dutch oven. Cover with water by several inches. Let soak overnight.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add kielbasa and cook until browned on both sides. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Drain beans and add to pan. Add chicken broth and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add parsley, hot sauce and salt.
- Cook beans until tender, 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours. Add more water if needed. Serve over hot rice.