Real Hot Chocolate
- Yield 3 servings
Buy the solid bars of Mexican or South American chocolate for this hot chocolate. A bit of crushed red pepper flakes or black peppers adds pizzazz.
- 4 cups whole milk, light cream or soy milk
- 4 ounces (by weight) unsweetened chocolate, grated (1 cup grated)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 3 to 4 black peppercorns, crushed or 1 small dried red chili, crushed
- 1/4 cup whipped cream, for garnish, optional
- 3 teaspoons chopped almonds, for garnish, optional
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add grated chocolate, sugar, cinnamon and pepper. Cook over low heat 2 minutes until milk is heated through and chocolate melts. Remove cinnamon stick and serve as is or with whipped cream and chopped almonds, if desired.