California Milk Advisory Board
- 1 1/2pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8cups Real California 1% milk
- 3 limes, zest removed in large strips with vegetable peeler
- 4tablespoons Real California butter
- 1tablespoon curry powder
- 1large onion, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons white rice
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Chicken stock or milk, as needed
- 1/2cup non-fat Real California sour cream or Greek-style yogurt
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a roasting pan, toss carrots with vegetable oil. Roast in the oven about 30 minutes or until carrots start to brown slightly around the edges. While carrots are roasting, heat milk with lime zest over low heat just until hot; remove from heat and cover until needed. Before using, strain to remove lime zest.
- In a heavy soup pot or casserole, heat butter and curry powder until curry begins to sizzle. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until onion is soft. Add roasted carrots, strained milk and rice; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or until carrots and rice are completely soft and falling apart.
- Purée in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, heat gently and adjust to desired consistency with stock or milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream or yogurt.
Tip: Freeze soup in plastic containers or zip-closure bags; thaw in refrigerator and reheat over low heat, whisking until smooth. Makes 8 cups.
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 246
- Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 33mg
- Sodium 343mg
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 11g