Raw Potato Pancakes (Latkes)
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small to medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 large eggs
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- cooking oil
- Shred potatoes and onions using a food processor or hand grater. Press potatoes and onions lightly in a dishtowel to remove excess liquid. Whisk or process eggs, milk and melted butter together. Add flour, salt and pepper, and mix well. Fold into potatoes and onions in a medium-sized bowl. Heat several tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet. Scoop latkes (using 1/4 cup batter for each) onto heated oil. Press to make 4-inch diameter pancakes. Brown each side.
Tips from Our Test Kitchen: Serve with sour cream or applesauce. This delicious side dish is great with meat or fish.
—Leonard A. Gardner, Parkville, Maryland