Raw Carrot, Ginger and Wild Honey Balls
- Yield 6 servings
Beat the heat with these tasty no-cook sweet morsels.
Soaking raw almonds in water at least an hour or overnight makes them creamy when processed. These can be packed for lunch and make a great energy snack.
- 1/2 pound raw almonds
- -- Water
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1/2 pound dried pitted dates
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 cup dried sweetened coconut, chopped almonds or sesame seeds
- Soak the almonds in water to cover for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, grate the carrots in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade or with a box grater. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Process the nuts in a food processor fitted with the metal blade until finely chopped. Place in bowl and set aside.
- Add the dates, honey, cinnamon and ginger to the food processor fitted with the metal blade and process until smooth. Add the processed nuts and process until blended well. Fold the date mixture into the carrots with a fork or whisk until well blended.
- Roll the mixture into 2-inch balls or place into small muffin cups to shape. Chill 20 minutes then, roll in chopped almonds, dried coconut or sesame seeds and serve.