Raspberry Walnut Cake
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon black walnut flavoring
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, finely chopped walnut pieces, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions, adding walnut flavoring, 1 cup walnuts and orange rind to batter. Pour batter in pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Slice each cake into two layers. Prepare frosting by beating together cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla. Heat preserves, stirring until smooth. Spread frosting on top of one layer; add second layer; frost top; add third layer; frost top; add fourth layer. Spread a ring of frosting around the outer edge of the top layer. Spread preserves inside frosting edge and sprinkle with remaining walnut pieces.
- Chill until frosting is set. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Arlen Myers, Lewisburg, W.V.